Saturday, May 28, 2011

Smoky Night

     One of the most memorable things about this book was its incredible illustrations. Not only did they begin the moment you opened the book, but the backgrounds were photographs of real materials such as gravel, paper, etc. The actual illustrations were pastel-like pictures that were painted to enhance the story's character and setting development. I appreciated what this book's purpose was; however, I did not find it to be especially interesting or thought-provoking. I did like how the author symbolistically expressed the troubles of a broken community and their need to be more tolerant and understanding of one another.
      Along with that, I think there are several wonderful messages expressed throughout the story. I feel that they were a bit far stretched and students may not catch on, but the challenge may be a guide to higher thinking development. The story doesn't go into great detail about their lifestyle or what is going on, which may make students confused if they have never experienced or witnessed a lifestyle like the characters' of the story. I'm not certain I would use it as a free read in my classroom, but I think I would use it as a part of a lesson and make sure to discuss topics with my students. Controversial topics are vital to teach appropriately and this could be an example of one resource I may use to get the message across.

Smoky Night
By: Eve Bunting
Illustrated by: David Diaz
Published in 1994

No comments:

Post a Comment