Saturday, May 28, 2011

Hooray For Reading Day!

     Prior to reading this story, I had not known that there was a "Jessica Worries" series. I look forward to reading some of the other stories that are out there, as I enjoyed reading this one! I had a personal connection with this story, considering I was terrified of reading aloud when I was a young student just starting school. I was afraid of my teachers' corrections and I was nervous of what the other kids would think of me. That's exactly how the plot line of this story unfolds.
     I think this tackles a very common concern for students and should be shared to reassure them that it's okay to struggle at something. Reading can only get better through practice and patience. This book shows one way a student learned to overcome her reading fears. I feel this would be a wonderful way to get students involved in reading and to practice their weaknesses. I hope to have this on the shelves in my future classrooms and can't wait to share it with my students!

Hooray For Reading Day!
By: Margery Cuyler
Illustrated by: Arthur Howard
Published in 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment