Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Breadwinner

     My initial reaction to this book felt seemingly positive. I enjoyed reading through the novel and found myself forgetting I had to read it as a school assignment, as opposed to a free-reading book. I immediately began to analyze why I had enjoyed it so much. Was it because I grew up with the fearful events of 9/11? Was it because I hadn't known much about the daily lives of the citizens who lived in Afghanistan? Was it because I was engaged in the story line of this eleven year old girl? I've concluded that it's probably parts of all of these thoughts. I feel that this novel broadened my understanding of their culture and their lifestyles, both of which I'd never bothered to look into previously.
      My next thoughts regarded the novel and its use in the classroom setting. I strongly feel that it would best suit an audience of sixth or seventh graders. When looking at the content and pace of the story, I understand that it is plausible to use it in grades below that; however, I feel that a slightly older audience would take more away from the novel and better appreciate its significance to students' lives today. I think this would be an excellent resource to use when discussing a unit on the middle east. I think it will provide the students with insight on topics and lifestyles they are not familiar with and this book can assist in bringing that different culture onto a level the students can grasp. My biggest concern is that this was published in 2000 and much of Afghanistan culture has changes since then. Teachers would have to be sure to discuss how it's changed in present day and that this was what their lives were like under Taliban rule.

The Breadwinner
By: Deborah Ellis
Published in 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment