Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Giver

     I was happy to hear we were going to be reading The Giver, because I remembered missing out on reading it in my elementary years. After finishing the book, I felt frustrated that I did not have the chance to read it when I was younger. Sure, I was in the average reading group, but I think I would have really enjoyed reading this story when I was a kid. I struggled in finding books I found interesting or engaging and feel this would have captured my interest into reading more novels as a young student. I also remember reading numerous books set in historic times or around historical events. This is another factor that would have made reading this as a kid more enticing as well. I really enjoyed how Lowry used a futuristic setting as a means to create an atmosphere appropriate to portray his overlying messages through.
      After recording my own thoughts on The Giver, I began wondering about what I could do with it in my future classrooms. I think this book has many useful purposes and activities that can complement its lesson and themes. For example, this would be a resource I'd like to use when analyzing motifs, themes, symbols, and other elements I'd like my students to identify within the story. I feel it'd create great discussions, as well as, great story prompts, project opportunities, and compare/contrast activities. The students would really get a lot of analytical and thought-provoking practices out of reading this book in class. I think the students would be more than capable to read the story themselves, and then review areas that needed clarification as a whole. I see this book as a beneficial addition to a classroom curriculum and look forward to using it in the future.

The Giver
By: Lois Lowry
Published in 1993

No comments:

Post a Comment