Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Misfits

      I can honestly say that I am a fan of this book. I was a little hesitant at the start of the novel, but found myself truly enjoying the reading as I progressed through it. Yes, it was somewhat cliche at points, but I really liked the message the book was expressing. Nowadays, bullying is such a serious problem and as a future educator I feel strongly about putting all of that to an end. I was frustrated that the teachers of the story didn't do anything to promote equality nor did they seem to feel that bullying should be a zero-tolerance policy until the end of the novel. This book covered some controversial topics and had some controversial characters, but I think it's important to share with our students. Educating them on these topics can only make the world a less judgmental place and I am all for that.
      Aside from my own feelings about the book, I think children will like this story because of its relatable character cast and real-life school situations. I think the message is highly important for students to learn about, considering everyone feels like an outsider. Reminding students of this fact is an important part of being an educator, as students spend more time at school than they do with their family members.

The Misfits
By: James Howe
Published in 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment