Sunday, May 22, 2011

It's A Book

     This book surprised me when I finished reading it. I was looking for award nominated and award winning picture books and found this to be amongst those categories. At first glance, I thought the illustrations were simple and bland in color. Once I'd read it, I realized the pictures didn't need to be overdone because the story carried the excitement. With a cute monkey and donkey as the main characters, Smith brought the digital world of our society into the world of books. This provoked interest in the characters to read a book and enjoy its content, as opposed to getting trapped in technology. It's a book of few words, but a big message about the significance of reading for both children and adults.
     I think children will listen to its message, because young children like animals and like to learn along with the characters. Together, both the readers and the animal characters, can venture through the world of reading. It's uniquely written style will intrigue young readers and their parents, hopefully promoting more quality reading time.

It's A Book
By: Lane Smith
Published in 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment