Thursday, May 19, 2011

David Goes To School

     This story is simple, but I feel that students would love having it read to them. I found the illustrations and the dialogue to set a semi-dark mood to the story, but all ends well. I was intrigued by how the wording was presented on each page. The author had little clips of largely-lined paper where a simple sentence would be written in the font style of a young student. I think this story would relate well with the kids because of that, and I think it sends a good message about school.
     If I read this aloud to my class, I would want to be sure to take time and discuss how David's actions impact others around him in the illustrations. Since the text itself is so minimal, much of the story is left for the audience to see in his drawings. I think asking the students questions as I read through it would best engage them in the story and promote positive analytical skills while reading in class. I would like to conclude my reading of the story by asking students why they think David behaved as he did, what the teacher and students felt, and what they would do in the situation.

David Goes To School
By: David Shannon
Published in 1999

No comments:

Post a Comment