Sunday, May 29, 2011

Heather Has Two Mommies

      My initial response to this story was that it was highly controversial. After rereading it, I realized that I really appreciated the social gap it was attempting to close; however, I feel like the story got a bit off-track and went into areas that were not necessary. I feel that it was off topic when it explained how one of Heather's moms was inseminated. I think sticking to the story's moral of accepting the family lifestyle of having two moms was far more important than the anatomy of the procedure. I feel this is an example of literature trying to promote tolerance and positive equality concerns, but I'm not sure that I would use this particular book in my classroom. If a parent were interested in a resource to share with their child I would be comfortable explaining this a choice, but I would not place it freely in my classroom.
      In terms of how I feel kids may react, the pictures were done in black and white and only took up a small portion of the page. I fear that children will not be engaged in the story, therefore, not appreciating it for what it is worth. I do think that this can be an effective tool if a parent wanted to sit with their child and relay the story's message, though.

Heather Has Two Mommies
By: Leslea Newman
Illustrated by: Diana Souza
Published in 1989

No comments:

Post a Comment