Thursday, May 19, 2011

Look Whooo's Counting

     This story stood out to me, because the illustrations consisted of simple backgrounds with cut-out wood shapes and paper materials. These cut-out shapes created the characters and backdrops from page to page. It was refreshing to look at something other than painted pictures and I think students would like the change of style as well. Considering the pictures are made up of little bits of paper, I think it broadens the students' visual abilities to see the numbers as not only numbers, but also the owl's wings.
     Applying this to classroom activities can include content areas of science, math, reading, and art. I feel this will help the students remember their numbers because of the various animals the owl sees as she's counting her way through the night. It is a very simple read with little plot. I don't think this would be useful for any grade above kindergarten, as it may lose its audience's attention. I do feel that this would be great for a kindergarten read-aloud book, though. The students can interactively count along with the story.

Look Whooo's Counting
By: Suse MacDonald
Published in 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment