Sunday, May 29, 2011

Dear Dumb Diary

      I absolutely adored this book. I had never heard of the series until I saw it in our classroom, but I can't wait to read the others! These are right at my little cousin's reading level and I plan on reading this at the same time she does. I found this book to be highly entertaining and the humor was very well written. The diary entries are hysterical and very appropriately aged. There wasn't much substance to this reading, but for a fun assignment or free-read novel, I'd say it's a great choice!
      In terms of younger readers choosing a book of this series to read, I'd have to raise a slight issue of concern when it comes to the word choice and topics covered throughout the book. Some parents may have an issue with the main character talking about farts and/or dislike for school, teachers, classmates, etc. Though its intentions are humorous and silly, the book does have an arrogance to it and it can be a problem for some students who tend to pick up inappropriate behaviors. Another issue some may have with the series, is its lack of morals and educating messages. The book seems to follow the life of Jamie, but her poor manners typically stand uncorrected or unchanged. I could also see the lack of interest boys may have with this type of novel. Hopefully the students would take this as a humorous break from school texts, but there are concerns to be addressed before allowing a young student to read it.

Dear Dumb Diary (It's Not My Fault I Know Everything)
By: Jim Benton
Published in 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment