Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Memory String

     This was an interesting story about a little girl whose father remarried after her mother's death. The little girl struggles with accepting her stepmom through numerous misjudgments. She finds strength in her family's memory string with buttons representing each ancestor. I think this story was interesting to read because of the fact that it remained so neutral on such a heavy topic. I thought it did a great job of showing both sides of the situation and came up with some great lesson plan ideas to use in my own classroom if I used this as a part of my curriculum.
     The illustrations are eye-catching and I think children would really like that aspect of the book. I think it may be difficult for the students to relate to the story if they haven't experienced what the little girl is going through, but hopefully they will have gained some form of understanding on the topic and feel more knowledgeable post reading it.

The Memory String
by: Eve Bunting
illustrated by: Ted Rand
Published in 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment