Thursday, June 2, 2011

Her Mother's Face

     When I originally read this story, I was left feeling a bit confused. After rereading it, I realized there is a large chunk in the middle that is a bit abstract and unusual. I appreciated how it tackled the topic of a child missing her deceased mother and how she's frustrated that she can't remember her; but I didn't like that it went on such a tangent. The pictures were well drawn, but the coloring wasn't interesting or bright. Words covered most of the page and the drawings were lightly placed on every other page or so.
     My biggest concern when sharing this with children is whether or not the kids would be able to grasp the combination of the story line and the subject matter. Losing a mother can be a very scary thing for children and I worry that this may not successfully send the message the intended audience is supposed to receive. I would use this as a resource for students in upper elementary and as a resource for parents interested in a book dealing with this topic.

Her Mother's Face
by: Roddy Doyle
illustrated by: Freya Blackwood
Published in 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment